As most of you know, we discovered a little over a month ago, February 9th, in the emergency room at Mt. Pleasant that Jackie had tumors in his brain and that they had come from someplace else. He was put on steroids the Monday after we received this traumatic news on Saturday. Then on the following Friday, February 15th, radiation was begun on his brain. We later found that they were in his lung and that he had a large one on the adrenal gland. He had a needle biopsy in his lung February 29th, and his lung collapsed. They admitted us to the hospital and told us the hole should close up in a day or two - instead it took eight days. We finally got back home Saturday, March 8th. We had received the results of the biopsy Wednesday the 5th - amelanotic melanoma.
The doctor said we have two options which are oral medication (chemo) or a clinical trial someplace like M.D. Anderson. All the records have been sent there, and we are waiting to find out if they have anything going on at this time with melanoma. In the meantime he has completed a course of radiation on his brain. We have an appointment on Thursday, March 20th with the medical oncologist to determine the next course of treatment.
Jackie is feeling good - just a little weak. He is not in pain, thanks to steroids and the radiation. He is fortunate to have so many relatives and friends who are concerned about him, and my daughter suggested the idea of the blog and has graciously agreed to put it into action. We'll try our best to update the information regularly, and he will surely enjoy the input from you. She has purchased him a laptop so that if we are away from home, he'll still have access to his computer.
Thank you all so much for your prayers and care and concern! It means so much to both of us and certainly lifts our spirits during this trying time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Hey,
I think this is a really good idea. That way we can keep up with you and harass you at the same time. We wish you the very best. Remember you have a bed and company if you come our way.
Karon and Glen
Hey, my first time blogging! I always thought you had to wear funny shoes for that! I guess you got everything set up and working this week? Solitaire and freecell should get a pretty good workout on that laptop so I hope the battery came with a good charge and a cord. We enjoyed our recent visit. I'll be back in the not too distant future so keep a list. Love you both!
Hey Bubba,
The blog is working good. I think it is a great way to keep everybody up to date. I am still going to call and bug you though. You and Vivian are in my prayers everyday.
Love You,
Willie
I think that this is a great idea and this way I can also harass you both. Just know that you both are in my prayers at least twice a day.
We think this blog is a great idea, and it sure will help to keep us updated on Jackie's progress. We're glad to hear that Jack is feeling better, and please take care of your own health. We love both of you dearly, and you are in our prayers always.
Love,
Mom and Dad
Uncle Bubba,
As soon as I get my own visits to the hospital out of the way, I'll come see you. I'll be thinking of you and Aunt Vivian in the meantime.
Love,
Jason
Hey Uncle Bubba,
What a cool way to give updates. Candace and I will keep y'all in our prayers.
Love, Jimmy Wayne
Uncle Bubba:
Look whose going tech on us now! What a wonderful idea. I am so glad to know how you are doing and to know that I have the ability to keep up with the news on your recovery! Yes, recovery! I have been fastly praying and have also enlisted several others to join me in lifting you and Vivian up during this trying time. I am also delighted to hear that your aren't in pain. GOD is so GOOD. Keep up the spirits and I hope to see you agian. I will pass on the blog info to some of the firemen I know that are friends of yours.
I Love You,
Renee
hey jackie...sorry to hear that you're having health problems, but glad to hear that you're feeling better after your treatments...takes a lot to get an ol 'grove rat' down...prayers coming your way...much love from the neals...mike and linda
Hey Uncle Bubba,
I am so glad to hear you're doing better. My dad has been keeping me updated on how you're doing as well whenever he gets new news. I wish I didn't have school and had more time on this visit to come see you. But my prayers, thoughts and best wishes are with you guys always.
Thanks for creating this so I can stay in contact and check on you even easier. I love you both very much!
Love,
Lauren
Jackie, you old dog, of all the people I would have thought would go Hi-Tech you were not one of them. Good Show! Like many of the others who have posted here this is my first time to blog. I really like your blog name buddy. "Groverat" suits you to a T! Bet you had to fight Brian Dorethy for the name didn't you? Two better Groveites I never saw, you and Brian. Bill Crawford had informed me of your illness and I was stunned. You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you go through your treatments.
Post a Comment