It seems we have finally come to a conclusion on the direction to go with Jackie's treatment. We met with his medical oncologist in Texarkana today. He had finally spoken with the doctors in Houston, and it was decided that they really don't have anything good to offer him at this time. However, Dr. Patel is going to use one of their medications in addition to the one he was planning to use. They are both quite expensive, it seems, and they are working to get the best price possible. Also, one (Thalidomide) requires considerable paperwork. It interferes with the blood supply of the tumors, and the other one (Temodar) is an oral chemotherapy that tends to poison the cells, as I understand it. Therefore, it appears we won't get started for yet another couple of weeks.
Jackie is happy with the decision. The doctor said that he was looking good, and he is still feeling quite well. He is continuing to eat like a horse, but we have cut the steroid back to 1/2 pill, so his appetite may dwindle somewhat. We are supposed to quit cold turkey next Monday, but get back on one a day if problems arise.
He sends his greetings and thanks all of you for your prayers, cards, and interest in his well-being.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hello Bubba and Vivian,
I got home from Miami yesterday and was greeted by snow at home. Lori got a half day off from school because of the snow. It looks like most of it is melted now. It was quiet a change from MIA. I am glad you guys have finally got a plan from the Doc on the treatment. Bubba will get to stay in his comfortable chair during his treatment. I am sending him something in the mail tommorow I picked up in Miami.I will call soon and as always you guys are in my prayers everyday.
Love,
Willie
I think that you have made the best decision!
Maybe your grocery bill will help offset the cost of the treatment if Jackie stops eating like a horse after the steroid are cut out!
Did Dr. Patel give you any indication of the kind of side effects you can expect?
I'm thinking of you always and love you both!
Jana
Post a Comment