We didn't find out anything from the doctor on Thursday - communication problems I guess. We thought he would have information for us from MD Anderson. Dr. Patel said they were to call us. I called them yesterday morning and then called Dr. Patel's office with a number that he was to call. We did not hear from him yesterday, so I'll be calling him first thing Monday morning.
The nurse that I talked to gave me considerable information about the clinical trial that Jackie evidently qualifies for. Also, I found it on MD Anderson's website based on the three meds that she said were being used. The first one is the chemo that the doctor in Texarkana plans to use. The trial is to determine if these two additional meds will help the chemo be more effective on metastacized brain tumors from melanoma. The big problem is that metastacized melanoma is extremely difficult to treat. Of course, as the brain tumors are treated systemically, the tumors in his lungs and the one on his adrenal gland will also be treated.
Dr. Patel told us on Thursday if it is going to be six weeks or so before we can get started on something in Houston that we may need to go ahead and do the treatment here. If we start the chemo here then he will not be eligible for the clinical trial. The trial requires that his radiation treatment on the brain tumors be completed four weeks prior to the start of Houston's treatment and, as I understand, that they be actively growing again. He will have been finished for one week on Tuesday. From reading on the internet it seems that we would go to Houston every two weeks for eight weeks and then just every four or five weeks after that.
I have no idea what we will do; but, hopefully, we'll make a decision early next week.
Jackie is still feeling reasonably well under the circumstances and is in good spirits.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hey, we just got finished hiding easter eggs for the little man! He was really excited to be home again and we were just as happy to see him. I think we were about to go into withdrawals. Glad to know you finally heard something. In your next update or phone call, let me know what the medications you looked up were or provide the website link? I'd like to read about them myself. I had to log in under her name this time but it still is working out great in my opinion using this form of communication. Hopefully gives you both more time to relax and less time hunting down George Jones. We love you! See you soon!
This sounds like a difficult decision. I'd like to look at the website as well for the trial at MDAnderson. Email the link or like Lee mentioned, post it here on the blog so we can check it out.
We are back to school today with much protesting! Orson doesn't want to go to swimming class. They've just been out too long.
We love you both!
Jackie,
You will not remember me but I am Donna Bruton's older sister. I have been keeping up with you through Charlene. It is so great to see you carry on with our good old Groverat name. I didn't realize that your younger "Kids" kept that name around.
I am praying for you and this difficult time in you life. There will be many decisions to make and i just pray for peace with each decision you make.
My Mother Wilhelmina Bruton (95 in May) is still alive and I keep her updated on you also. She does remember who you are.
We will continue with our prayers.
Glynanne Bruton McClure and Wilhelmina Bruton
Jackie,
I just wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers and thoughts. Just remember that miracles do happen. Do you remember Mrs. Dunn's third grade class when you sat behind me and pulled on my long blond ponytail?
It's strange how we can remember insignificant details from the past. Anyway, hang in there and keep posting the blogs.
Barbara Lemley Lawrence
Post a Comment